If you’ve never sewed lingerie, but wanted to, read this post first. Sewing lingerie is fun, easy, and so satisfying! These are the 10 Things You Think When Sewing Lingerie For The First Time.
Want to learn to sew? This is the course that I recommend and love!
I wrote a post that so many of you have read that’s called How to Sew Spandex (check it out for how to sew stretch with success!) but sewing stretch is a bit different than sewing undergarments. I’ve wanted to learn how for a long time but I was worried it would be an expensive disaster (can you relate?).
One of my favorite sewing blogs and kindred spirits, Hannah of Palindrome Dry Goods, (check out her Esty shop here!) suggested I check out Madalynne Intimates for FREE sewing patterns for bralettes. After I saw the darling and frankly easy-looking bralettes that Hannah whipped up, I dove in.
Here’s what I was thinking as I made them.
Note: I sew, comfortably, at an intermediate level. I’ve quilted, mended jeans, and made garments like tops for myself often. I’ve sewn stretch yoga pants, but never anything like lingerie and this is indeed a category of textile sewing all its own.
The links you’ll notice in the post are affiliate links to products I most highly recommend for successful lingerie sewing.
10 Things You Think When Sewing Lingerie For The First Time
- This is so much elastic sewing.
2. What if this doesn’t fit?!
3. This is not as hard as I thought.
4. Ok this is sort of hard…
5. I seriously can’t see the difference between a stretch needle and a regular needle. At all.
Get stretch needles on Etsy HERE
Or get them on Amazon HERE
7. This is going really fast! Tiny garments are awesome!
8. So this is what the zig zag is for!
9. Different elastic color from fabric color means changing thread color every five minutes…and a different bobbin color from my main color!
10. Omg this is gonna look amazing!
If this is intriguing to you, check out my blog post about sewing the Madalynne Intimates bralettes right here!
Happy Sewing, Wildflowers!